Monday 26 January 2009

The new Town Hall



The new Town Hall building is now in L.Alexandras street, near my home.

The same building used to be the orphanage of the island, an institution that accommodated a great number of orphans, many years ago. Then they moved the kids to another place ( I suppose there were just a few orphans left at that time) and turned the building into offices. It housed the technical services of the island for some time, but the interior was in a real bad condition. It cried for renovation but it had to wait for a long time before the city council took any action.

Last year I witnessed a major renovation, at least on the exterior of the building. Now it is freshly painted and has got a new tiled roof. I have not visited the interior yet, but as far as I can judge from the new wooden windows, it will look great inside too.

Here's a picture I took the other day. The Town Hall is the oblong red building on the left.

No comments: